Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sitting by the Danube

At this moment (as in the moment this is being written, not when you are reading this) I am sitting by the Danube River, having just got a call from a friend that I would not be meeting her after all. It’s actually nice to not be in my apartment, even if I am alone. I don’t mind being alone. It’s given me an excuse to update for you guys. So, since my last update much has happened. I have begun to teach. I had my first classes this week. I have made the decision to get Internet. I have as of now ventured out of my apartment/schools to explore some and this weekend plan to explore Vienna. I’m never going to be happy if I don’t wander outside of my apartment. It’s beautiful here by the river. I might have to start coming here everyday. Well, maybe not everyday, but every other day for sure. I love water and I love being outside.

I think the ability to be alone is one of the most important things in a person’s life. If you can’t spend enough time without other people around I don’t think you have a healthy life. Being alone and being in silence is healing. It allows us to listen, not just to what people are saying but also to God and the world. Don’t get me wrong, I would consider myself a people person and feel like crap when I don’t have enough human contact, but I am learning that quiet time is important. For example, after leaving the river today, I went to get some ice cream. I figured it was still warm enough to enjoy it before all the shops were closed and ice cream was something I would have to wait 5 months for. Ice cream is something I enjoy maybe more than a good number of relationships that I have, it never fails to please me, it always is good, and I am always happy after eating it. Unfortunately ice cream can’t love me back. I can’t live off of ice cream alone. I am learning that I need to value both aspects of life. The times spent in silence, and those spent with others. Much like ice cream I enjoy being alone and in silence, but being alone doesn’t provide me with all I need to make it through life. I need people. I cannot live without the silence though, so a balance must be found. I am finding that balance. While at Belmont, I was surrounded by friends, it nice to not be. I miss them (that means you) but it is good to find myself.

I love you all!

R

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness, goodness--glad I am not the only one learning that lesson this year. I think being alone, not to mention living alone, has really been one of the hardest parts about this year so far. Don't get me wrong... I love the fact that I don't have to step over someone else's crap in the morning, and that the apartment is always organized the way I like it... but sometimes, I really want to be with people, any people. But, as always, we never know where life is going to take us, or the challenges that we are going to be asked to face, so maybe learning to be okay with being alone is the most important lesson we can learn for our future. However, that doesn't mean that I have to like the learning process.

    ReplyDelete